We're all keeping an eye out for the latest movements in our LGBTIQ festivals over the summer and the impacts that Covid-19 are having on them. Lifesavers with Pride are keen to represent Surf Life Saving as much as we can wherever possible. Here's the latest info that we can source, which is an increase of four festivals than we attended last year.
- The Newcastle Pride Festival has unfortunately been cancelled for 2020, and we look forward to our first attendance in August 2021
- The Sunshine Coast Pride rally is scheduled for Aug 31, although no further information has been released.
- The Brisbane Pride event has been postponed from September until November, and will be reassessed there. LWP are keen to get to the Fair Day to join the local community.
- The Central Coast Twist festival planned for October has had to be cancelled which is disappointing.
- The Darwin Community Pride Rainbow Day is scheduled for 19 September, and LWP are hoping to overcome border challenges to get there to celebrate SLS fabulousness
- The Adelaide Feast Festival, Picnic in the Park is scheduled for 29 November. Again, a great opportunity to showcase SLS to the LGBTIQ community
- The WA Pride Fair Day is scheduled for early November. Last year it was on 02 Nov, so check updates.
- Melbourne's Midsumma Carnivale is still scheduled for 17 January and still planning to go ahead. Keep an eye out for the latest news.
- TasPride keep their cards close to their chest, but last year their event was on 08 Feb, so watch out for their latest releases
- And Sydney's Mardi Gras Fair Day is still planned to go ahead, on 21 February.
Keep in mind that border closures and new waves of Covid-19 may impact these going ahead, and our ability to participate at some of these, although we are in conversations with our contacts at the various SLS state offices to attend should we be unable to make the trip over.
And to those who are looking forward to joining us in the Sydney Mardi Gras next year, remember we will be keeping an eye out for the latest news as we get closer. And don't forget that our first release of spots on the parade will go to those who have become members of lifesavers with pride. You can become a member here, and if you're unsure, just reply to this email to check and we'll get back to you.
OK, stay safe, and looking forward to the patrolling season kicking off again soon.
Gary and the Committee