Surf Life Saving is a progressive, inclusive and welcoming organisation, and Lifesavers with Pride encourages every club to ensure that it demonstrates this when engaging with all its stakeholders.
Check that your club meets all ten of these points below to demonstrate your commitment to a welcoming environment for LGBTIQ members.
OUR CLUB POLICIES
- Our club has a non-discrimination policy that includes sexual orientation and gender identity/expression and protects all members from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity/expression, and applies it accordingly
- Our club has an anti-bullying policy that includes sexual orientation and gender identity/expression, and applies it accordingly
- Our club has grievance procedures that will be actively applied to challenge instances where any of these checks are not applied.
OUR CLUB COACHES
- All our club coaches receive information on non-discrimination and anti-bullying laws and policies, including information on LGBTIQ members.
- Furthermore, our club coaches participate in development training about making lifesaving safe and respectful for LGBTIQ members.
OUR CLUB OFFICIALS AND ADMINISTRATORS
- Our club officials and representatives receive information about anti-bullying policies and non-discrimination laws that include sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
OUR MEMBER’S PARENTS AND SPECTATORS
- Parents/caregivers of our young members receive information about anti-bullying policies and non-discrimination laws that include sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- Our club has a policy governing appropriate spectator behaviour at events that specifically addresses anti-LGBTIQ name-calling or anti-LGBTIQ chants.
- All our club communications, including face to face, use language that is inclusive of diverse families, including those headed by LGBTIQ parents, or those with same sex partners.
- Our expectations for respectful behaviour are communicated to all club members at all functions and events (no name-calling, taunting, bullying).
By meeting these ten checks, your club strives to present itself as an LGBTIQ welcoming club. Only by taking on these positions will surf life saving be the welcoming, progressive and inclusive organisation it strives to be.