Welcome to the Lifesavers with Pride 2019/20 season. The LWP Committee is looking forward to another great summer and a spectacular entry in this summer’s 2020 Sydney Mardi Gras parade. By joining Lifesavers with Pride, and this website, you are showing your support for our mission of creating a welcoming, inclusive and progressive lifesaving culture for the LGBTIQ community. Whilst this summer we have started to reach out to the whole country, this page is devoted solely to our highlight of the summer, the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade.
This is the registration page specifically for nippers who want to march with us. They must have an accompanying adult, either as a supporter or a marcher joining them and registered, on the parade night with Lifesavers with Pride.
Note that the Mardi Gras parade this year will be on Saturday 29 February 2020. The parade is on, rain, hail or shine. As usual, we will only be filling 80 spots in total through this process, and will take names on a waiting list again in order to better manage those who miss out. Last year we took in nearly 20 people from our waiting list to fill those who have dropped out. Note that should you withdraw, you will only be reimbursed if we can find someone who can replace you, and attend enough rehearsals to still march, so before the third rehearsal.
We are inviting Nippers in the parade again to show how much of a family organisation we are. We have requested to MG that we are early in the parade but can not guarantee our position. As such we would recommend a minimum age of 8 years old. Nippers can either be a supporter, holding a flag or similar, or can participate in the routine. The choice is up to the parent.
Rehearsals - As our parade entry involves learning a routine, nippers participating in the routine will need to commit to attending at least four of the six rehearsals. The final rehearsal will be our dress rehearsal with more information closer to the event. Rehearsals will be held in the Tamarama Surf Club on the following 2020 dates:
- Mon 10 Feb 7.00 - 9.00
- Wed 12 Feb 7.00 - 9.00
- Mon 17 Feb 7.00 - 9.00
- Wed 19 Feb 7.00 - 9.00
- Mon 24 Feb 7.00 - 9.00
- Wed 26 Feb 7.00 – 9.00
We will have a final 2 hour pre-parade rehearsal at 3pm immediately prior to the parade on Sat 29 Feb that all entrants must attend. Note this may be pushed back if we are later in the parade to 4pm. This is both adults and nippers and includes interstate, regional and local marchers, as well as volunteers and supporters. More details regarding the day itself will be provided closer, including our post parade venue.
Swimear - As part of your entry fee, all marchers will receive a set of swimwear. Remember that Rival sizes are quite large, so if you are in doubt, chose the smaller size. Our vision this year is both red and yellow swimwear per pair of entrants. Marchers will need to wear this swimwear and their patrol cap to the final dress rehearsal, as well as to the parade. Also you will need to provide your own all white footwear (and socks) to the parade. Supporter nippers are recommended to wear their club uniform, which we are happy to discuss with you in advance. When posting, please include the hashtags #lwp2020 #proudbeaches and #lifesaverswithpride.
Fees - Anyone seeking financial support should get in touch with the committee providing supporting reasons. The membership fees for 2019/20 are:
- $50 for nippers, regardless of marching or supporting
Terms and Conditions - In 2017/18 the LWP MG Parade rego process filled its full quota in 48 hours, and 2018/19 only took a bit longer because we had more places available. The LWP Committee now offer selected members preferential registration based on their contributions in previous years. This includes assisting with the committee, participating in other activities such as photo shoots, media events, Fair Day both local and regional, LWP Mardi Gras events, LWP out of season events, and any other directly related assistance. Once these offers have been taken up, the remaining spots will be put out to offer. Note these preferential offers will not be provided any discount in price, will not be excluded from the conditions below, and are only for a single registration. Hence, if you are keen to march in future years, be sure to help out this season by involving yourself in the LWP events and engaging with the committee to see where support can be provided.
In order to become a member of LWP for 2019/20, you need to agree to the following conditions;
- I support the goals of LWP, which is to promote lifesaving within the LGBTIQ community, and to support our LGBTIQ members within the lifesaving community.
- As a marcher, I confirm that I am, or have been, an active nipper, SRC or lifesaver of a registered Australian Surf Club
- I will be available from 3pm until the conclusion of the parade on Saturday 29 February 2020.
- I am aware that I will be representing Surf Life Saving Australia on the day of the parade and I will abide by the SLSA Code of Conduct.
- I am aware that should I appear inebriated, intoxicated, or under the influence of any drugs in any way I will be asked to leave, and will not be reimbursed.
- I am aware that my contact details will not be provided to any third parties.
- If I am marching, I will be available for at least four of the six scheduled rehearsals prior to parade day.
- I accept that I will be photographed as part of the entry and may have my image used in Mardi Gras or LWP marketing.
- I am aware that all communications regarding the parade entry will be circulated through both the facebook group and the website blog, and that I am able to receive these communications.
You will be asked to confirm these terms and conditions, as well as other questions after you have purchased your tickets. Your booking will not be held if you do not complete the survey.
Get ready for a fun night.
Meet near the Tennis Courts at Sydney Boys High School corner of Cleveland Street and South Dowling Steet
Moore Park, NSW 2021
Google map and directions